The UCSD Chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) – The International Sociology Honor Society, will be accepting membership applications through the first week of Spring quarter.
What this means is that the UCSD Soc Dept. is formally recognized as having an AKD charter and we can grant lifetime memberships to our eligible students.
If you meet the official requirements (listed below) you can become individual members of the AKD — for $40. Membership of AKD is highly recommended, especially for those interested in further academic study in sociology. For more information on AKD, including the benefits you can check their website at http://www.alpha-kappa-delta.org/.
The requirements for UCSD membership are as follows —
1) Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology.
2) Must be at least a junior standing (90+ units) by standards of the host institution (UC San Diego).
3) Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
4) Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at the host institution (UC San Diego) prior to initiation.
5) Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
The one-time, lifetime membership due is $40. Accepted members will be honored at a departmental ceremony at the end of Spring quarter and will be able to wear an honor cord at Commencement (for and additional $8). The deadline to apply is Friday, April 3rd. Please pick up an application from the Sociology Department’s front desk or by downloading the document on the AKD website at http://usaakd.ucsd.edu.
The UCSD Chapter of AKD is managed by the Undergraduate Sociological Association (USA). Please email email@example.com for inquiries.
The Undergraduate Sociological Association (USA) is a forum for academic discussion and pre-professional and social opportunities.
The mission of USA is to provide a place for students to network with other sociology majors, grad students, and faculty through hosting informal talks, film screenings and special events. The USA also assists the Department of Sociology in managing the UCSD chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD)—the national sociological honors society.
The USA is open to anyone who is interested in sociology and pre-professional opportunities are welcomed to attend the bi-weekly meetings.
If you have any questions or would like to know more about AKD, please contact the Undergraduate Sociology Association